Monday, August 30, 2010

salad and sandwich nite!

I think the sandwich is under-rated for dinner! Now mind you, I am not talking about peanut butter and jelly on white bread.  I'm talking PANINI!!!  Now that is a sandwich that is dinner worthy.  The panini can be as healthy as you want, use up any left-overs, and can be "tweeked" to each family member's taste. 

Tonight's dinner:   Grilled Cheese Panini and Fridge Salad

Fridge Salad-Whatever I have in the fridge (real original, huh?).  Tonight it is red leaf lettuce, chopped up with avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, shredded parmesan cheese all sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper and my vinegrette. 

The vinegrette-2 glugs (professional cooking term) of balsalmic vinegar, 1 glug (I'm watching my fat intake) of olive oil, 1/2 dollup (another professional cooking term) of dijon mustard, all whisked together.  YUMM but any salad dressing on hand is fine.

Grilled Cheese Panini-the secret is the bread!  Crusty and chewy (I used a Tuscany bread I had bought at the store) with slices of your favorite cheese.  Grill in a panini press,george foreman grill, or my absolute fav kitchen appliance: the cuisenart griddler.  Isn't my pix funny?  It looks like a tongue is sticking out at you.   That's the cheese,oozing out, waiting to meet YOUR tongue.  hahaha
Fridge Salad
Grilled Cheese Panini
                                    

5 comments:

  1. Cute tongue! Hey I have a ton of tomatoes at home. What can I do with them? Mix of heirloom and beefsteak. Appreciate the advice!
    Foodie Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Foodie Beth,
    Wow are you lucky to have heirloom tomatoes. They are the BESTEST! I happen to have a great idea for you and it will use up ALOT of those juicy yummies :)
    Roasted-Tomato Basil Soup
    I suggest that, even though it's summer, because you can freeze it and in the cold of winter, defrost and it will be great comfort food and also remind you of your wonderful summer! Here's recipe:
    3 Lbs tomatoes, cut in half
    1/4 cup Olive Oil
    1 Tbs. Kosher Salt
    1 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    6 Garlic Cloves, minced
    2 Tbs. butter
    1/4 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    28 ounces tomatoe puree
    4 Cups basil leaves
    1 Teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1 Quart Chicken Stock (never broth!)
    ____

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast (about 1/2 hour). In stockpot, saute garlic with abit of olive oil, butter and red pepper flakes. Add puree, basil, thymeand stock. Add oven-roasted tomatoes, including any liquid on sheet pan. Brin to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender. Serve cold, in the summer and hot, in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like tomato soup for dinner tonight! Can I buy the stock? I only have broth here.
    Foodie Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always use what you have!!!! That makes life so much easier :) However, on your next shopping trip-buy some stock so you will have it in your pantry for the next time. My fav brand is Kitchen Basics. You will definitely see the difference from stock to broth- in the color and so much in the taste :) Enjoy your soup. Let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate dinnertime too! I'm so happy you're doing this. Keep up the blogging!!

    ReplyDelete