Tuesday, March 22, 2011

zucchini memories

When I was single, every Friday night my room mate and I would go to Houlihans.  We wanted to meet guys and if we didn't, then we ordered the fried zucchini sticks appetizer.  Boy did I love that appetizer.  I actually preferred the appetizer over trying to meet guys!  I actually secretly hoped that she would give up early in the evening just so we could order that zucchini appetizer and thoroughly enjoy it without having to worry about how we looked while devouring this wonderful appetizer.  Well, it was a vegetable after all! 

Well many many many years later, I started thinking about the zucchini appetizer (not the meeting guys part, mind you!) and started to look for a healthier version.  I think I found it!  These zucchini sticks are baked, not fried and use a wonderful double duty ingredient---corn flakes!  Yup, that's right.  Good for breakfast as well as an appetizer.

I don't even know if Houlihan's still offers the fried zucchini sticks on their menu.  But I enjoyed this version  even better than I remember.  Maybe because I enjoyed eating them with my husband!!!!

baked zucchini sticks



Recipe:

2/3 cup crushed corn flakes
4 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 Teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
2 zucchinis, cut up in sticks
-----
Mix all dry ingredients and put in plastic bag.  Whisk the egg with alittle water in a bowl.  Dunk the sticks in the egg then shake with the dry mixture until coated.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Squirt some lemon over, if you please. 

1 comment:

  1. Houlihan's Restaurant is the ideal option for you if you're in the mood for steaks. The best steaks, burgers, salads, and pasta are served here. Check out the Houlihans menu and prices. Review the Houlihans Menu Prices before dining there.
    houlihans menu

    ReplyDelete